Sexton’s Cottage

Sexton's Cottage 1909-10. Bruce Castle Museum (Haringey Archive and Museum Service)

Sexton’s Cottage, a proud feature of tinted postcards gone by, stood in Church Lane, next to All Hallows Church, on the site of what is now the vehicle entrance to the mortuary. It was a typical weatherboard Middlesex cottage, and is thought to have been demolished in the late 1950s-early 1960s.

Sexton’s Cottage housed the village official responsible for digging graves, tolling the bell (particularly when someone died), and acting as caretaker of All Hallows church and churchyard.

Sexton's Cottage c 1891. Bruce Castle Museum (Haringey Archive and Museum Service)

In the medieval and Tudor period the Tottenham parsonage for All Hallows was situated in White Hart Lane, in what is now the Garden of Remembrance, but later moved to 776 High Road (next to Fletcher House and not part of Northumberland  Terrace). The vicarage was also in White Hart Lane, closer to the High Road, and was sold for the building of the railway c.1870. Part of the building seems to have been demolished and the rest became the station-master’s house, which still stands. The former rectory manor in White Hart Lane became known as Tottenham Park and was a large house built in 1636 on the site of the ‘Parsonage Grounds’ as shown in the 1619 Dorset map.

The current Priory was saved from demolition by the Reverend Denton Jones in the early 20th century and the gate is said to have come from the old vicarage at 776 High Road.

Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *